Monday 29 August 2011

Sanjay Dutt




Sanjay Dutt in Khauff


The Sanjay Effect - Sexuality and Charisma

"Sanjay Dutt is a total rock star, probably the last that we have in Bollywood today." (Imran Khan, 2008)

Comments on the "Sanjay Effect"

Indiatimes Movies chose 2007 the Top Ten Sexiest Men of Bollywood where Sanjay - definitely the oldest among all the younger guys - was placed on rank 8: "Malaika Arora Khan once called him the ‘original Marlboro man’. He is the quintessential ‘sexy stud’ of Bollywood. From his coloured blonde tresses in ‘Khalnayak’, or spiked hair and Mohawk look in ‘Kaante’ to his tattooed body in ‘Shabd’...this man is hot!"

(Is there anything I could add?)

In another list featuring Bollywood's "most dashing couples" Indiatimes Movies named at the end several actors, among them Sanjay Dutt, with the lapidary comment:
"Need I add? These guys look super whoever they’re paired with. Right?"
(Right, Mr. Qureshi! Sanju is always looking mind-blowing!)

On Father's Day 2007 Indiatimes Movies presented "the sexiest dads of film industry" and there was no way to leave Sanjay out:
"While daughter Trishala insists that her ‘daddy is the bestest’, we insist that he is one of the hottest men of filmdom. That gait, those looks, that personality remains unparalleled." 

(Exactly! Sanju is unique, a good father and hot as ever! How did the Stardust 3/1999 quote? "Check out the way Sanju is looking in Khauff: as hot as a latin lover on someone else’s wedding night.")
And even with 49, Sanjay still ranks among the sexy brigade - with his "rare blend of heroism and villainess and his rugged looks": Bollywood's sexy at 40...
(That means, in 2009 Sanju will get his own league "sexy at 50", I suppose...)
Even Koena Mitra shares this opinion as she counts Sanjay among the "5 sexiest men alive" in the Filmfare 20081015: "Hot as hell. His smile is so innocent and cute that the moment he smiles at you he lights up your day. But the best part of him is his heart, which is spun in pure gold."
(What a wonderful definition of "sexy"!)


In 2008, IMImobile, a global provider of mobile content and value added services, commissioned a study to find which movie stars are as popular on the mobile screen as they are on the big screen - and Sanjay was number 5 of the male most downloaded movie stars in terms of mobile content.(And left several of his younger colleagues behind him. Even in his end-40's, he's still the rock star!) 



Sexuality and Charisma

"Among the males, no one wore his hair (and still does) with more elan than Sanjay Dutt. Long, unkempt, coloured, it was his beacon to his sexuality."

"Among the current brigade, not too many stars have charisma, in the true sense of the word. Star-appeal, maybe; but charisma - very, very few. Sanjay Dutt most definitely has it. That raw appeal that is so essential to a star, that people can feel his presence before they've sighted him."

And what would a 'Lust Barometer' be without Sanjay Dutt - "the first to make a macho physique a fashion statement. The Deadly Dutt has an animal sexuality about him that emanates as much from his perfectly sculpted 'he-man' physique as from his large, vulnerable eyes with their 'little lost boy' look. Add to that his smile, his hair and his recklessness and you have a lost lion cub that is just waiting to be mothered. Not many women have been able to resist that."

(Stardust Annual, 1997)


"If you have it flaunt it."



In October 1991, the Movie magazine dealt with the phenomenon that Hindi films no longer were eye-turners just for the male public. "Please give us more sexy male stars, the ones who dare to strip their shirts off!" the girls were pleading. "Why are only women featured in Wet and Wild, give us men too!" No doubt about it: Hunks like Sanjay Dutt, Sunny Deol, Rahul Roy and Jackie Shroff, with their well-conditioned physiques and their courage to expose them, had triggered a new era
: "Gals strip hunks down to trunks!"

Sanjay had no problems with this change in trends: "If society is changing, it means that women are becoming bolder. So what's wrong with that? It is not that society demands nudity for nudity's sake. Most of the new boys who have come in have excellent physiques, so it is only natural to show exercise on screen too. Besides, in English movies men have been stripping forever. Sylvester Stallone really started the trend in a big way. In Rambo, there is a scene which shows Sly getting ready for a fight. His biceps, thighs, forearms, waist - all are shown in close-up as he is strapping up and it looks damn good. (shrugs) i have a good physique, so I show it. If I was pot bellied I'd never take my shirt off. In Fateh there is a whole song in which I'm shown exercising. Even in Sahibaan there is a scene where I am swimming wearing only shorts. And it looks good. (smiles) Come on, nobody is going to expose unless they have a good body. If you have it flaunt it."
(There was a lot to flaunt even ten years later: MENtality, in: Ciné-Blitz, Ah! Men, 2001)



Sanjay Dutt in Sadak

Sanjay Dutt: Body Basics
Sanju talks about workout and muscles: Link 1 - Link 2
(Ciné-Blitz, Ah! Men, 2001)

"I love to have a toned body rather than Rambo's muscles."
(4D Woman, March 2007)

Bollywood gets naughty at 40"Like wine our Bollywood actors today seem to be getting better with age" stated Indiatime Movies in October 2007 about all the big superstars who have crossed the age of 40 and counted Sanjay Dutt among the Top 5 Bollywood 40+ Actors: "The audience have immense respect for this guy, especially after films like Munnabhai and Vaastav which gave a whole new direction to his career. You rock Sanju bhai!"(What can I add except: It's not only respect the audience has for Sanju but also immense love...)

Top 10 Most Attractive Men of Bollywood
Even at the age of 50, Sanjay Dutt still ranks among the Top 10 according to a readers' choice:
"Rocky's still got it. Not too surprisingly his fans are more than happy to render jadoo ki jhappis on Bollywood's beloved Munnabhai.
Sex appeal: The man responsible for introducing the concept of macho, beefy bodies in the industry hasn't flexed those muscles in a long time. But with a smile like that, he can afford not to.
Style mantra: They don't call Dutt deadly for nothing. His bad boy hairstyles, funky beards, numerous tattoos and stylish accessories go well with anything the 50-year-old chooses to adorn - body-hugging tees or kurta atop jeans."


Sanjay Dutt in November 2008


Wanna see a nice little bonus? ;-)
Ciné-Blitz Rage of '94: Link 1 - Link 2 - Link 3 - Link 4 - Link 5 






Sanjay's Lifestyle



Stardust Special "LifeStyles of the Superstars" (2001)

Casual Wear and Accessories: Sanjay Dutt is a-l-l man. To enhance his ruggedness, he likes to wear denim overalls, denim jackets. He also looks good in corded T-Shirts (mostly black) worn over slightly weathered Levis. The only accessory he sometimes uses is a heavy gold chain round his neck. Though a little bird (read designer Anna Singh) whispers that he won’t look half bad in Indian ethnic or casual suits and blazers, being of the perfect height and body shape to be India’s answer to James Dean.

Formals and Evening Wear: Among all the industry guys, there’s no doubt that the two men who look best in formal wear are Sanjay Dutt and Jackie Shroff. “They can carry off any colour, any shade, any fabric,” says Pooja Bhatt. Incidentally, Sanju would do all his formal wear shopping abroad until Rhea took over his wardrobe.

Electronics and Gadgets: Ever since Sanjay Dutt started the trend of setting home theatres, the rest of the industry merely followed, with every star worth his name setting up a proper home theatre system…

Cars and Automobiles: Going by the ‘Space is No. 1 criteria’ we have the rough-and-rugged Akshay Kumar and Sanjay Dutt preferring the tough man’s mean machine – the Toyota Land Cruiser. For the deadly Dutt, “It’s simply a cool car, very powerful and very easy to drive.”
Sanjay Dutt doesn’t mind living on the edge. So it isn’t surprising that Sanju has bought a brand new shiny Harley Davidson, the bike most teenagers grow up only dreaming about. He’s often seen cruising on the same all over Bandra.

Health and Fitness: Sanjay Dutt, on whom rests the mantle of probably beginning the fitness trend in Bollywood says, “The good thing is that when I start working out, the outside world doesn’t exist for me. Then it’s just me and my machines. I don’t even look at the time. I keep working out till I’m ready to drop dead. Also, I don’t believe in maintaining any strict diets while I’m exercising. I firmly believe that you can eat as much as you want provided you are ready to burn it out.” There was certainly a lull when the actor was behind bars for over a year. But later, after emerging out of jail, the deadly Dutt got back to his fitness regime and recreated his almost perfect body. “I don’t believe in taking steroids because they have adverse reactions”, says Dutt, shooting allegations that he takes assistance of wonder drugs to help maintain his physique.




Stardust Special "Style Secrets" (supposedly from 2004)

Grooming Special:
 Fardeen Khan states, "I cannot understand stars who don't shave, wear shabby clothes and don't comb their hair when they are at public functions. I believe that we as actors have a certain amount of responsibility towards the society." Sanjay Dutt seconds Fardeen's point of view: "There are days when I just don't feel like shaving and keep an unkempt look. But that's deliberate and honestly, it happens when I'm feeling a bit lazy. Otherwise, I have to maintain a clean look all the time. I like to shave and indulge myself with my favourite after shave cologne. That's when I feel really alive and fresh."

Denim Special: "A pair of good jeans looks more classy and macho than anything else," says Sanjay.

Fitness Special: Sanjay prefers to work out with his friends and, when he does so, the music in his private gym is on full blast. "That helps me divert my mind," he says. It was Sanjay who was instrumental in initiating Salman Khan into a regular fitness regime.

Jewellery Special: Among the men, Sanjay Dutt and Ajay Devgan like wearing some form of jewellery, but of the subtle kind.

Shoes Special: Macho machine Sanjay Dutt feels that high-heeled shoes are a must. He says, "I like shoes that look rugged. I tend to wear boots more than formal shoes, and my personal favourites are slip-ons." The earthy Munnabhai MBBS agrees with the sophisticted Khiladi that slip-ons translate into style, and also are high on comfort. "They're light and flexible too," he concludes.

Watches Special: Within the industry, collecting of watches is something worth looking out for. One of the best collections of watches is with Amitabh Bachchan. Sanjay shares the same passion. "I rarely go out anywhere without my watch. It makes me feel incomplete." Sanjay likes the heavy ones - particularly the Constellation kind. In fact, he has an entire series of them and is also an expert when it comes to them. "Actually, there are some precious watches that should be bought from only specific places. Otherwise, nine out of ten times, there is a possibility of you landing up with a duplicate."



Stardust Special "Style Secrets" (2006)
Jeans: Sanjay Dutt is maddeningly in love with his jeans! He says, "I live in jeans 24/7. If I have to wear something else it's only for a few hours and out of compulsion otherwise it has to be jeans all the way for me. Over the years I've had many favourite brands and have bought jeans by the dozens. In fact, my friends joke that my collection of jeans would give the best stores a complex. But I need the right kind of fit. I just can't wear ill-fitted jeans."

Sunglasses: And there are those like Sanjay Dutt whose favourite pastime has been collecting stylish sunglasses over the years. Says the dashing actor, "I have had an obsession for glares from the time I can remember. I have been collecting them from my first trip abroad. In my car there are always three to four pairs on the dashboard. In films I generally wear my own pair. I'm very particular about the brand. The colour of my sunglasses depends on my mood. I love glares so much that once I even did a ramp walk for a business venture of sunglasses that Suniel (Shetty) and I were in partnership for."



Stardust Special "Style Secrets" (2007)


Furniture Special: Imported furniture is the rage of the day. Sanjay Dutt who is known for his finer taste has a special liking for it. “My furniture has been specially imported for me. I cannot pick up what is available in the stores for the simple reason that my home has to reflect me. I have used leather sofas in grey colour at one end of the living room. I have a dining table at the other end. My table is round and has huge chairs. I don’t like much woodwork now. Even my den has black sofas and beanbags where you can just chill while watching a movie. I like to have a lot of space and don’t like clustered rooms,” says Sanju baba. The deadly Dutt prefers a Spartan and minimalist ambience.

Homes Special: Sanjay Dutt seems to be engulfed by the starry sky up above. Quite literally. For the star’s bedroom is on the top floor and his apartment has a section of its ceiling made out of glass to see the twinkling stars above. Where his childhood home (Ajanta Bungalow) was a few years back, stand Imperial Heights today. Sanjay occupies the duplex on the top floor. Health conscious that he is, he has built a gym on the ground floor for everyone in the building to use. “Health is wealth,” he insists. He also has a lift on the other side that takes you straight to his home. “My dad was going to be in the adjoining flat but he passed away a fortnight before he shifted,” he reminisces sadly. Having been partly done-up by buddy Raja Dhody, Sanjay’s house is the epitome of his large-heartedness. The living room is spacious with a huge sofa set occupying the major space. The TV area and the bar are part of the same room, which opens onto a huge terrace. The flooring is different across the house; there are shades of white, cream and even black in certain areas. Sanjay hasn’t compromised on the quality of his flooring at all; it’s the best of the lot.

Bathroom Special: A star’s room reflects his personality. Now that’s a thought Sanjay Dutt emphatically emphasises. Magnanimous that he is, Sanjay’s bathroom showcases this trait amply, what with it being on the top floor of his duplex home, with a glass ceiling to let natural light in and a constant view of the limitless sky. Perhaps watching those twinkling stars actually makes all the difference. As the dashing actor says, “My home reflects my personality; it has been designed by me with the help of an interior designer. Every piece of the furniture; each colour on the walls has been approved by me.” And then he adds, “My bathroom is the most important area. I have a duplex home and my bedroom and bathroom is on the top floor, which is the 12th floor. The ceiling of my bathroom is in glass so that natural light comes in and I get to see the sky. The colour of my bathroom is very light. I don’t like loud colours. I have a huge tub and shower area. I have my basin and all my toiletries are here on the shelves. My hair creams, conditioners, soaps and gels occupy a place of importance. I am not into skin products so that you will never find. And yes it is very clean and hygienic. I get irritated when I enter a dirty bathroom or even if it is wet and clustered. I like space and cleanliness.”

Cars Special: Sanjay Dutt was among the first stars in the industry to get a SUV. At a time when SUVs were still relatively new in the city, he was the only one who drove around in one. The actor even used the SUV in one of his films. Sanjay would often take the car out late in the nights and drive all the way to South Mumbai, getting a feel of the ride.

Health Special: Sanjay Dutt who has the best body in town says, “I wanted to have something that was entirely my own. That no one could take away from me. Seeing your body taking shape gives you the kind of high that few other things can.” Sanju baba cautions that it is very important to start with basic exercising. “You should not start with heavy weights – that can do more harm than good. Once you have a solid base then you can slowly increase the time and the impact of your exercise regime,” says he. “With so much of international exposure via television and foreign films, the audience expects us to be fit now. They expect us to compete with the best,” observes Dutt.

Safe Sex Special: The few reckless moments are what Sanjay Dutt refers to when he says that people aren’t aware of a few minutes of pleasure leading to a lifetime of pain. With Dutt having met a lot of people with AIDS, he can empathise with them, which is why he advices safe sex to everyone. Having seen turbulence up close, Dutt advocates two important things: keeping away from drugs and having safe sex. Why Dutt is more emphatic and forceful in his counsel is because he sees no point in regretting later. “In today’s society, it is better to be safe than sorry,” says the actor. “Whether it is men or women, both should be careful. There is no point in regretting things later. It is not just the fear of AIDS alone, you could just get any other disease or be the carrier of HIV. I advise everyone to have safe sex.”





How metrosexual is Sanjay Dutt?

In February 2004, the Filmfare magazine asked, "Metromania – How metrosexual are our stars?" Sanjay reacted interested and positive: "I think I'm quite a metrosexual guy. Let's check it out."

Caring and Sharing: "It's such a myth that brawny men are devoid of emotions, that they talk only with their fists. It's simply not true. I think from my heart, I do what my heart tells me. I am absolutely and completely an emotional fool. I get hurt very easily and small gestures can bring tears to my eyes."

Stylebhai: "I am a clotheshorse - my designer Navin tells me everything looks good on me. But my identity has been blue jeans and a white shirt or denim shirt. For parties, I just toss on a leather jacket. I personally pick all my outfits. I do most of my shopping abroad but in India, I go to Gabbana. Yes, I do like wearing big brands but that's not a cultivated effort; it is just because brands are particular about the fit and texture of the material. My leather jackets are mainly from Harley Davidson, my jeans are Diesel, my suits are Armani. I'm quite sold on accessoires too. I love belts and they needn't be leather; they could be studded with stones or have something funky on them. I love rings and have quite a few chains and bracelets too. I haven't pierced my ear but have worn clip-on earrings."

Bodyshop: "I've never been conscious about my looks but I am very concerned about my body. I've abused my body a lot in my early days but not any more. With the profession I am in, I cannot afford to be out of shape. But more than that, I believe a healthy body is responsible for a healthy mind. Which is why it is so important to be fit. I eat right and make it a point to weigh myself regularly. And I exercise for over two hours every day. I have always experimented with my hair. If you see my films or photographs you will know what I mean. Right now I have short hair but it is styled and coloured according to the look I have in a film. I use quite a few hair products and skin care products too. I like to be well-groomed."

(Obviously Sanjay inherited some special preferences from his father Sunil Dutt who also was known to look enviably good in Jeans and being fond of wearing bracelets.) 

By the way, what about dressing as a woman, Sanju?


"I dressed as a woman because the script required it. I am not one of those guys who love to dress in drag. In this particular film (he doesn't even remember which one*) I had to dress as a woman to enter a women's hostel to woo my heroine Rati Agnihotri. I would not know whether men have a certain percentage of a woman in them or not. I don't have any percentage of a woman in me. Basically, I just dressed as a woman because it was required in the film. I would love to do a film like Tootsie or Mrs Doubtfire." (Ciné-Blitz 5/1996)


*Just ask your fans, Sanju...
It was Mera Faisla (1984).


Star Photographer Rakesh Shrestha about Sanjay Dutt

"Sanjay Dutt is wasted in our industry. No one realises just how special he is."
"Sanjay is a trend-setter. Whatever he does becomes fashion."
(Zee Premiere 2/1999)

Sanjay Dutt among India's 50 most stylish men
The Big Style Issue - India's 50 most stylish men
(Man's World 11/2004)

Style pretty much ends and begins with Sanjay Dutt
Style Check: Sanjay Dutt
(StarBoxOffice 7/2009)



Sanjay Dutt in Daud



Sanjay Dutt - Body&Soul

A series of gorgeous pictures (& interesting comments) from the magazine g 6/2000:
Link 1 - Link 2 - Link 3 - Link 4 - Link 5 - Link 6 - Link 7 - Link 8

Sanjay Dutt - Moods and Moments (Nuances)Filmfare 2/1994, Classics:
"Now, don't cast the evil eye"
"The lighter side of life"
"Wish there was someone to watch over me"
"Hey, mind your language"
"Don't rub me up the wrong way, bhidu"
"And so many more smiles to go"
"This is just the dress rehearsal"
"Baby you can light my fire"
Best wishes, always yours, Sanjay Dutt


Sanjay Dutt's favourite hair stylist is Aalim Hakim 
Hakim's Aalim Hair n Tattoo Lounge
Aalim Hakim shares Sanju's hair secrets  

P.S. By the way: Sanjay uses Nokia mobiles. 


Details about Sanjay's tattoos please check here.

*




1 comment:

  1. Sanjay Balraj Dutt is an Indian film actor and producer known for his work in Hindi cinema. The son of veteran Hindi film actors Sunil Dutt and Nargis Dutt, he made his acting debut in 1981 and has since appeared in more than 100 Hindi films.See Sanjay Dutt Movies List Here.

    ReplyDelete